Tuesday 5 October 2010

Japanese People (portrait)



JAPANESE! 
Honestly, what is the first thing that crosses your mind every time you hear the word 'JAPANESE'?
Sophisticated Fashion? Friendly People? Breath taking Scenery?

Well, mine was neither the above. My first impression towards japanese, before coming to Japan was 'egoistic'. Some might wonder how the idea came about. It all started when my father had some business relationship with Japanese. He told me, 'It's so hard to communicate with Japanese, they speak only Japanese and refuses a translator.' Since young, I had instill the impression that in general, Japanese are egoistic and would not care less about others.

However, that impression began to change when I arrive in Japan a month ago for an Exhange Programme. I have since then made many Japanese friends and also other friends from different countries. Most importantly, the young lady in the picture below was introduce to me through the Home Visit Programme by Kansai Gaidai University and has then become a close friend who changed my view the most about JAPANESE and JAPAN.

A good friend, given nickname, Ms. A
Ms. A (not her real name due to privacy reasons) is hyper active and very kind. You probably might think it's such a cliche whenever someone says Japanese are kind. This friend of mine, has shown me a different kind of kindness that has helped me in many various situations.

Being the ONLY Malaysian exchange student, I felt somewhat left out of the big picture. People didn't really understand me and I felt like I was trying very hard to adapt into others instead of the vice versa. Combine with my pre-instill impression of Japanese. I was hoping for the worst. Moreover, language barrier has kept me wondering did I make the right choice opting to come to Japan. 'Maybe I should have choose an English Speaking Country...,' I thought to myself.

Knowing my out-of-place situation, Ms. A brought me to her old high school. She is working part time as an English Teacher tutoring her juniors. She invited me to help her in her class by being a 'special' guest and also to create an English speaking environment for her juniors. Her special attention to my needs made me realized I had been wrong about Japanese for the past 20 years of my life.

Since the first time I met Ms. A, she has welcomed me with nothing but her pure sincerity. Her GENKI-ness and hyper mode is always at its top. She even prepares bento for me for lunch once. It made me feel like home again.


Mother (left), grandmother and Ms. A
The thing that struck me the most was how open her family was towards people from other culture and background. They accepted me into the family almost instantly. The head scarf that they are wearing in the picture was actually a girft from Malaysia. In Malaysia, people wear head scarf just like that because it represents modesty and purity. The gift that I had got them could be worn any way in different style but they insisted that I teach them the 'right' way. The friendliness and openness towards my culture was really a shock and a relief. She and her family had planted a new seed in my heart which will slowly bloom into a beautiful flower, I believe.

7 comments:

  1. I like how you use very specific cross-cultural comparisons from your own experiences both at home and here in Japan to draw conclusions about Japan/Japanese people, and how you examine your own changing impressions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading this post! It was very interesting to read about your early impressions of Japan and how they changed since you met your friends. She seems to be a very nice person and I think she wants you to enjoy your life in Japan and forget about your bad impressions of Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Ariane, I believe that the post shows a lot of growth throughout the whole story. The understanding and acceptance of your friend's family seems to be very moving!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the third picture as it shows personality. You are to be commended for identifying and dealing with your early cultural stereotypes. Getting to know real people and becoming friends is a great way to learn. Such experiences will make you a better visual anthropologist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anna : Thank you for the comments. I guess I experienced culture shock when I first arrived in Japan.

    Arianne : Thank you, I enjoy reading your blog as well. Love your pictures.

    Kuma : Are you moved? You should be. LoLx.

    Visual Gonthros : I was young and innocent when I first got the impression. It sticks to you. I can't help it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice. actually there are morphologies of prey individuals for european gangsters and the like, thus i was thinking maybe what if there is similar in Japan or China or so?

    so i was wondering about the different face and skull morphologies of asian people.

    at least seeing as how i think most japanese are not allwoed to have serious weaponry unless they join the police or miltary... it can only be explained by having layers of Japanese society who would regularly do something realy unpleasent onto a relatively larger ammount of people.

    ReplyDelete
  7. perhaps i shouldnt have written this but this is the truth. and i dont want people of Japan to go suicide and the like (for instance i have read there is a high suicide rade in Japan wish is bad, so it should be modified to have zero suicide rates and so.

    ReplyDelete